* You feel like you're shedding your 'old self' and the new one hasn't arrived yet.
* You feel lost, fearful, doubtful, helpless or hopeless.
* You are asking questions but there are no reassuring answers arriving - you're in the void of 'not knowing'.
* Your normal coping strategies, rituals and spiritual practices aren't working.
* You are questioning the foundations of your beliefs, your life, your everything!
* No matter how hard you try, nothing is happening in your external world, forcing you into presence with your inner world.
* Depression that doesn't seem to have a cause.
* Your connections with the unseen / other worlds seem to be broken or non-existent (you may even feel that God / Source / your guides... have abandoned you)
* 'Everything' is going wrong - you are losing friends, relationships, jobs etc.
* Intense boredom that doesn't shift when you do things you normally love.
Dark nights of the soul can be activated by big life-changing events, the shock of what you thought was true not being true (living a lie), and ungrounded spiritual awareness. e.g. the 'crash' after the spiritual high or not including your body as you expand your soul's consciousness.
And sometimes the dark nights just arrive in your world uninvited. Rude!! ;)
It's tempting to resist the dark night of the soul (just ask me how that goes!!). In a word. Don't!